Plumbers vs Drainers. Who do I call to clear my drains?

Oct 2, 2021 | Blocked Drains, General Plumbing

Blocked Drain Pipe Newcastle Plumbing Kings

Plumbers and Drainers are both respected trades with different skill sets. Some people can get their roles confused. Let Newcastle Plumbing Kings show you the difference.


Gas & Electric Hot Water System

When people first think of plumbers, they think of the guy that fixes your toilet and sinks but there’s a lot more to your average plumber than meets the eye. Plumbers deal with anything water related and general water supply works.

What plumbers fix:

  • Broken taps
  • Leaking shower heads
  • Leaking pipes
  • Hot water systems
  • Gutters and metal roofing
  • Blocked toilets
  • Services related to water supply.
  • And many more.

Whilst plumbers do a lot, it is important to remember:

  • Not all plumbers are licensed to do gas works
  • No all plumbers are licenced to do drainage works.

These are additional skills. If your job requires gas or drains, it is best to ask your plumber prior if they have the correct licenses to safely complete the job.

Plumbers are a trade that involves any plumbing works. Plumbers need to complete a 4-year apprenticeship and study a minimum Cert III in plumbing. This grants them a license and accreditation to work as a plumber.

Not all plumbers are qualified to work with drains.

In order to work with drainage, especially underground drains, plumbers need to acquire a drainers licence to complete the work.


Blocked Drain Pipe Newcastle Plumbing Kings

Do not underestimate the power of a drainer. Newcastle plumbing Kings have been called to an array of drain issues. On a daily basis, drainers can encounter:

  • Unblocking indoor and outside drains.
  • Drainage maintenance
  • Pipe relines
  • Sewer repairs
  • Inspect drains with CCTV cameras.
  • Unclogging baths, sinks and showers

Skilled drainers require training and hard earnt experience to do their job properly. It also takes additional training and licencing to work on more complex drains.

So, what’s the difference?

An easy way to differentiate the two is to figure out which direction the water is flowing in regards to your property. Any plumbing work that involves water going into or inside your property requires a plumber.

Eg: getting a tap fixed by a plumber because it involves water flowing into the kitchen. Calling a plumber to fix a leaking shower head because water is going into the area.

Now, if the problem involves water going out of the property, then it would require a drainer or drainage specialist. Including sewer and storm water issues.

Eg: If your toilet is draining water very slowly. You could call a drainer or a plumber who specialises in both, since it involves water going outside the property. Same goes for water not draining out of a sink.

It’s not to say that a general plumber won’t be able to assist in clearing out your drain. A simple drain issue like a blocked toilet is definitely something a general plumber would be able to do. However, some drains are difficult to access and require specialised knowledge and equipment and the best person to call in is a drainer.

So, the next time you need plumbing work done, first assess if the task involves water going inside or out of your property. Then you will know if you would need to call a plumber or a drainer.

Why can’t we have both?

Good question. There are skilled tradies out there that are qualified in both plumbing and drains. You won’t need to think about this by calling Newcastle Plumbing Kings. We have the skills and experience in both drains and plumbing to work on a wide range of plumbing and drain problems. We have all the right tools to get the job done.

You can be assured that Newcastle Plumbing Kings are licensed in both plumbing and drain issues, guaranteeing you efficient and quality service. Call us today on 1800 313 222. We serve areas across the central coast including Newcastle, Hunter Valley, Central Coast and Lake Macquarie.

Share this post: